Monday, June 14, 2010

Grandpa and Grandma Anderson

My grandpa and grandma Anderson lived on a farm south of Cowley Wyoming. They lived in a log cabin their entire lives with no in door plumbing. How I hated to go to the out house to use the toilet. I would try to hold my breath and hurry as fast as I could. I cannot even imagine cold winter nights and a trip to the out house. Although it probably did not smell so bad in the winter it would be so cold. The out house was quite a walk from the house.
My favorite memory of my grandma Anderson was her homemade bread fresh from the oven with homemade jelly smeared all over it. Now the truly unique part of it is that it was all prepared on a coal stove. I remember the unique taste as you could taste the coal smoke in all she made. I thought it was the best treat ever.
I marvel that in a modern world she never had running water nor a gas or electric stove. They were truly proud when they got electricity to one room of their house and I still recall sitting in that room with the single bare light bulb hanging out of the ceiling. It seems like it had to be un- screwed to turn it off.
I used to love to go to the farm and run around while dad visited.

2 comments:

  1. I don't think I have ever heard a story of great grandma and grandpa Anderson. That's crazy they lived like that. I can't even imagine cooking on a coal stove. Very cool story...I can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you are sharing all these stories! now I know where I got my love of home made bread fresh from the oven! I look forward to more stories!!!!

    ReplyDelete